Saturday, November 29, 2008

Mihaly Csikszentmihalyi: Creativity, fulfillment and flow

3 comments:

Dionne Clabaugh said...

I liked this primer on flow. Thank you for posting it. When considering the 7 elements of flow (involvement, ecstasy, clarity, know it's doable, serenity, timelessness, intrinsic motivation), I wonder about people with ADHD and with Autism - how would their lists differ?

Amy Alamar said...

Thanks for putting this talk on your blog. It was really interesting to listen to. And, thanks for the link to the TED site... I got lost in the TED page.

Anonymous said...

Having recently read his book and having the book talk with you, it was great to watch this and put a face and personality with the name.Thanks for the post.

His explanation of our limits for processing information (120 bits) clarified for me why we literally don't have the ability to attend to the needs of our body or self when we are deeply engaged in an intense activity—why we experience a total absence of self during a flow experience.

Like Dionne, I wonder what this means for those with processing or attention disorders. How does further limits on ordinary processing affect one's ability to create and sustain flow like conditions?